Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Italian Sausage Soup





I love soups! They make great meals in one and I enjoy trying new soup recipes. I recently saw this one in a Paula Deen magazine. I adapted some but it is still basically the same.

This soup is quick and easy. It is also frugal, especially if you cook your beans at home instead of using canned beans. I cook up a bunch of beans at one time and freeze them to use in recipes like this.

I served this with bread and my whole family enjoyed it.

Italian Sausage Soup

1 lb sausage

1 onion, chopped

1 cup celery, minced (I left this out, I don’t like celery)

1 cup carrot, minced

3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth

2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic ( I used canned tom. and some italian seasoning)

2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained

1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained

2 cups macaroni, uncooked

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

In large Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrot over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and crumbles.


Drain well.


Stir in broth, tomatoes and beans; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.


Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.


Add pasta; simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until pasta is tender.


Stir in salt and pepper.


Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment