Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mexican Rice in the Rice Cooker



I love my rice cooker. It is becoming one of the most used small appliances in my kitchen. I use it for cooking plain rice, but I also use it for things like my rice cooker macaroni and cheese.

I love the convenience of my rice cooker, especially for recipes like this one. I can place everything in the rice cooker, push the button, and have a healthy and filling meal in no time.

I serve this for lunch or dinner. I usually serve it with chips and a salad for a simple, but really good meal my whole family enjoys.

This is one of those meals that can easily be made start to finish in 25 minutes or less. I love those kinds of meals. Quick, easy, and frugal meals work for me.

Mexican Rice Cooker Rice

  • 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 1 12-ounce jar salsa, mild, medium, or hot
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can of black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained (I use dried beans that have been cooked and frozen)
  • 1 1/4 cups water

Add all ingredients to the inner pot of rice cooker. Stir, close the lid and press the White Rice or cook button, depending on your rice cooker. When rice cooker switches to Keep-Warm mode, open the cooker, quickly stir and re-cover. Allow to stand for 8-10 minutes before serving. Spoon onto a serving dish and serve with cheese and sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment